Twenty-one members of VOCAL-NY and Community Voices Heard (CVH) were arrested for disrupting the House floor debate on the debt bill yesterday to demand greater attention to revenue instead of spending cuts to programs we all depend on. The action was the first in a series nationwide being organized by affiliates of National People’s Action, a network of community and congregation based organizations.
Watch video of the action and check out our media roundup below, which reported on our demands for focusing on raising revenue, including taxing Wall Street profits and closing corporate loopholes, instead of spending cuts.
As Bobby Tolbert, a VOCAL-NY Board member living with HIV/AIDS who relies on Medicare and HOPWA, stated: “John Boehner should stop worrying about keeping his job as Speaker of the House and start worrying about creating jobs for the millions of Americans who are unemployed. Instead of making Wall Street and the super-rich pay to address the revenue crisis, Boehner’s extremism forced a debt ceiling deal that will ask seniors, the disabled and working families to do all the sacrificing. It’s clear that allowing our country to be held hostage to the demands of the Tea Party is a recipe for disaster.” Bobby was among those arrested following the action, nearly half of who are HIV-positive.
- Associated Press (widely published): Protesters in House gallery arrested
- Washington Post: Protesters disrupt House during debate on debt deal; 22 arrested
- Washington Times: Protesters interrupt House debt debate
- The Hill: Protesters of debt deal detained at Capitol
- NY Times: Arrests in House Visitors Gallery
- UPI: Debt bill protesters arrested
- CNN: Protesters disrupt U.S. House before debt ceiling vote
- The Atlantic Wire: Debt Ceiling Protesters Removed from House Gallery, Arrested
- Huffington Post: National People’s Action Protesters Jeer Boehner, Debt Ceiling Deal, Get Arrested In House
- Wall Street Journal: Capitol Police Arrest 22 Protesting Debt-Ceiling Deal
- AlterNet: Activists Arrested for Disrupting Debt Talks: “Boehner, Get Off It; It’s Time To Tax Corporate Profits”
- @2chambers Washington Post: dozen protesters expelled frm House gallery, They were chanting: “Boehner get off it, it’s time to tax corporate profits”
- CNNPolitics: #CNN’s Xuan Thai reports several protestors cuffed in House chamber after chanting “Hey Boehner get a clue, it’s about revenue”
- RT @ryanjreilly: Speaker Boehner was waiting for elevator, which opened up toprotestors under arrest. [VOCAL members, in fact]
- JoshuaHol: Release: 20 Protestors Arrested after disrupting House Debt debate Demanding Boehner & GOP Stop Holding U.S. Hostage & Start Creating Jobs
- nationaljournal National Journal: RT @poulsont: VIDEO protestors interrupt House statements on debt deal http://njour.nl/nijA3U
- daveweigel: Bunch of protesters hauled out of House, yelling stuff like “it’s about revenue!” and “tax the wealthy!
- MotherJones: RT @AndrewKroll: Getting lively up in Congress. Some protesters getting zip-tied after yelling in the Gallery. http://yfrog.com/kjz9imbj
- Roll Call: RT @jessicalbrady: Protesters leaving the House shouting “Hey Boehner, get a clue, it’s about revenue.”
- CSPAN: Protests disrupt House debate on debt package… Reminder: public can’t see protesters because House controls cameras.
- ThinkProgress: RT @2chambers A dozen protesters expelled from House gallery. They were chanting: “Boehner, get off it, it’s time to tax corporate profits”
- Washington Post: Protesters disrupt House during debate on debt deal; 22 arrested – WaPost http://wapo.st/mV04n1
- HuffPostPol HuffPost Politics: ICYMI, 22 protesters arrested in the Capitol today for jeering Boehner & the debt deal inside the House. http://huff.to/n7t9KD
- Washingtonpost The Washington Post: Protesters disrupt House during debate on #debtceiling deal; 22 arrested http://wapo.st/nrPUqg